Running Goals? Let’s Do This!
We asked motivation master and Accredited Running Coach, Damon Bray to provide some top tips to start and keep us running in 2018:
You’ve either said your goal out loud and posted it online or a friend has mentioned theirs to you, right? If you haven’t that’s okay because we’ve got the motivational team at the ready when you do put pen to paper or most importantly –
ENTER THE COMP and commit to that 2018 running goal.
- Do it for a cause: If it’s your first parkrun or you’re stepping up from a Half Marathon to tackle the Full 42.2km, you need to put in the training, which we absolutely agree can be challenging, but doing it for others less fortunate than you, along the way such as The Love Mercy Millions Challenge can make it more rewarding when you’re logging those training runs each week.
- From the ground up: you need to be prepared for the long runs the hill repeats and those faster interval sets and it all starts with comfort. We’ve all had them and if you’re new to the running game you need to avoid blisters, hotspots and other irritation caused by sub-standard products on your feet, this will let you focus on being a better and more comfortable runner for 2018. Our great friends at Feetures! & Topo Athletic work together to keep your feet in a healthy, natural environment, allowing for better running form & pain-free running. Only available at Injinji Performance
- The motivation to overcome/push-through: fatigue can come from a variety of sources, and one of the most proven ways of getting you through that – “ My legs hurt too much. I can’t finish my run.”, is Caffeine. Now the last time we were out running, it was hard enough putting one foot in front of the other, let alone carrying a few cups of coffee to get us to the end – Hence why the convenience of having a Revvies in the pocket is so handy., that you can easily place on your tongue when that fatigue feeling hits you will get you back home.
- Do it with a friend – They say having a Goal without a plan is just a Dream so grab that new running partner of yours and set out what your training will look like as you head toward that 1st parkrun, marathon or possibly a personal best at Ultra Trail Australia – Where do you start?? Checkout some likeminded people that have been there and done it and read about their experiences and what motivated them in magazines such as R4YL.
- Get the right support – You’re almost ready to launch into 2018 well and truly prepared for your own running mecca and what better way to make new friends or grab that running buddy of yours and join a Running Group to keep you accountable and help you with a few of the finer points of running – The Running Movement are a wonderful recreational runners resource and you can easily join them at their Running Groups and Strength Classes or if you can’t make the classes they’ll allocate you your own personal running coach to help your training in 2018 online.
Time to Get it Done… GOOD LUCK! (But now we know you won’t need it – because you’re prepared and motivated).
ABOUT DAMON BRAY
An elite runner, triathlete and duathlete, Damon’s represented both his state (NSW) and Australia.
Damon’s been a lover and student of running ever since his mum, Kerry coached him as a child in primary school. He’s run every distance up to a marathon and finished at the pointy end most times. Damon has now turned his hand (or feet) to the trails, as he looks to go top 10 at Ultra Trail Australia.
Damon is a Level 2 Advanced Athletics Australia Running Coach and the Co-Owner, with his good friend Andrew Lennon, of The Running Movement. A big believer in improving each and everyone’s lifestyle through recreational running. Damon founded 4 parkrun’s around his home in the South of Sydney: Menai; Cronulla; Panania; and the most recent Dolls Point.
If you’d like any extra running tips or want to learn a bit more about what Damon and The Running Movement can do to ensure you RunHappy then pop him an email, email@example.com.